Promote gender equality
in your business.
Endorse the Women’s Empowerment Principles
All businesses stand to benefit from greater equality for women. We invite you to adopt the Women’s Empowerment Principles – joining nearly 1,000 other business leaders around the world who have done so.
You can use these Principles to empower women in the workplace, marketplace and community. Subtitled Equality Means Business, the Principles emphasize the business case for corporate action to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Take action across all seven Principles:
- Principle 1: Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality
- Principle 2: Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and nondiscrimination
- Principle 3: Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers
- Principle 4: Promote education, training and professional development for women
- Principle 5: Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women
- Principle 6: Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy
- Principle 7: Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality
These principles are the result of collaboration between the UN Global Compact and UN Women, and are adapted from the Calvert Women’s Principles®. They are informed by real-life business practices and input gathered from across the globe. These Principles also can inform other stakeholders, including governments, as they engage with business.
How to participate
Leadership involvement is important. Invite your chief executive officer, or equivalent, to issue a CEO Statement of Support. The Statement encourages business leaders to use the seven Principles as guide posts for actions that advance and empower women in the workplace, marketplace and community. It also asks you to communicate your progress through sex-disaggregated data and other benchmarks.
Learn more at http://www.weprinciples.org.